Author Topic: Tail lights work but no brake lights...  (Read 4491 times)

Warner

Tail lights work but no brake lights...
« on: March 12, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
I have working tail lights, but my brake lights quit working.  Not sure why.   There appear to be two 3-prong switches on the master cylinder.   There were only TWO wires connected to one of the switches.   Is something missing?   A wire fell off perhaps?   I had my son press on the brake pedal and put a meter across any combination of those prongs and never got a closed circuit.  My questions are what would cause my lack of brake lights, how come there are two switches (I'm assuming those are brake light switches), and how can I troubleshoot where the problem is?

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Steve Thomas

• CCVW Member
Re: Tail lights work but no brake lights...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
You are on the right track there are two switches you should have power to one side of that switch that is wired the other wire goes to the lights in back. If you do not have power then check up hill to the fuse box you might find a fuse connection problem or a blown fuse.
Purple Street Rail 2180 Stroker
Early 1965 (Red Rocket) Bug 40 HP
Late 1965 (White Lightning) Bug ???HP
1970 (Chalkey) The Black Board Bug
19?? (Dune Buggy) New Project

bswilly65

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:56:07 PM »

here is a diagram hope it helps.

Warner

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
You are on the right track there are two switches you should have power to one side of that switch that is wired the other wire goes to the lights in back. If you do not have power then check up hill to the fuse box you might find a fuse connection problem or a blown fuse.

Thanks Steve.  There are 3 prongs on the switches, but only TWO wires going to the one switch.  Does that sound correct?   I can check the fuses easily enough.....

Warner

Steve Thomas

• CCVW Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »
With intel like this you can't go wrong. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Warner

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »

here is a diagram hope it helps.

Thanks...but now I'm even more confused by the diagram.....there are 2 switches on the master cylinder, and each one has 3 prongs.  There were only TWO wires connected to ONE of the switches (and ZERO wires connected to the other).

Warner

bswilly65

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »
what year is your car?

Warner

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »
what year is your car?

It's a '68.....but it may have a newer master cylinder in it...no idea.   Whatever it is, it's a dual circuit master with 2ea. 3-prong switches on it.

Warner

bswilly65

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »
one switch or both will work the tail lights. One switch is activated by the frontbrake circuit and the other  is for the back brake circuit.If the fuse isn't blown put the wires on the other switch and see what happens....Now quickly to the garage

Steve Thomas

• CCVW Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:08:34 PM »
Sounds like some one did a little cut and hack job don't sweat it it's not to hard to fix after all it's jut a bug...... :lol:

Warner

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »
one switch or both will work the tail lights. One switch is activated by the frontbrake circuit and the other  is for the back brake circuit.If the fuse isn't blown put the wires on the other switch and see what happens....Now quickly to the garage

I'm on my way out there....which TWO of the 3 prongs do I use, though?    If I understand correctly, one of the 2 wires to the switch should provide the 12 volts, and the other one runs back to the tail lights, right?

Warner

bswilly65

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:13:15 PM »
yep one wire should always have power to it.check it with the key on too just incase it has been re engineered

Steve Thomas

• CCVW Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 09:13:39 PM »
If you use an ohm's meter have some one push on the brake pedal then use the meter to check for a closed cirkit to find the two prongs that you want to use.

bswilly65

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »
looks like 82a is the one that should always have power to it. put one end of your meter to that wire and the other to a known good ground. One of the two wires should have power to it

Warner

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 10:00:40 PM »
yep one wire should always have power to it.check it with the key on too just incase it has been re engineered

I traced one of the wires to the very first fuse in the fusebox.  The other wire I believe runs to the tail light (it must, right?)   It doesn't seem to matter which switch I use, I can't get brakelights.  And when I was messing with the fuses my damn tail lights quit working (got that fixed though).  What I didn't do (and won't tonight...I'm tired and not feeling well...think I'm starting to get sick!) was to turn the ignition on and try it.  I'll do that tomorrow....and I guess that means I'm NOT driving it to work tomorrow for the first time.

Warner